The Sport That God Loves The Most
When you’re a sports fan, you’ll often find yourself praying that your team does well–even if you’re not a person of faith.
Sometimes God doesn’t answer. Hockey fans, it’s not because He doesn’t like your team. It’s because He doesn’t like your sport and ignores all your prayers, no matter which team you support.
As for other sports, which one does God love the most? I think it’s quite clear that the answer is soccer. Here are the 7 reasons why:
1) The left and right side of the pitch are called wings. Two wings in every game? It’s positively angelic.
2) Historically, the best footballing nation has been Brazil. You know what else Brazil has? A giant statue of Jesus. If you want your sport (and your team) to be blessed, statues speak louder than words.
3) When you’re attacking the opponent’s goal, a pass into the box is called a cross. And I think we all know how important a cross is.
4) Soccer is often known as the global game, as the popularity of the sport has reached Judea, Samaria and the ends of the Earth. There’s even a tournament every 4 years called the World Cup. Baseball, on the other hand, only has a World Series by virtue of one Canadian team playing in the Major Leagues.
5) One of the most famous songs in sport is “You’ll Never Walk Alone,” sung by fans of Liverpool before every game. You know who’ll never let you walk alone? Jesus. The song’s the sporting equivalent of “Footprints In The Sand.”
6) Something you may not know is that God made the Earth in a soccer ball’s image. After all, it’s not like our planet is shaped like a football (although it would have made North Pole to South Pole expeditions much faster).
7) There are 11 players on a soccer team. Jesus had 11 people on his team. Judas doesn’t count as he got himself a red card.
So these are the 7 reasons God loves soccer the best, with 7 clearly being the number of completion. I’m sure some of you will disagree though, even Jon argues that Frisbie is God’s favorite sport. Let’s hear your reasons why God loves a different sport more than soccer in the comments below.
What do you think is the sport God loves the most?
(For more great writing from Stephen, check out his blog!)